Wednesday 21 May 2014

Goo food

I didn't just forget the 'd' on the title of this blog. There are people drinking nutritional goo instead of eating normal food. It seems to be a movement. I understand that buying food, storing it, preparing it, eating it and then cleaning up can be time consuming; an interruption to doing things you prefer to do... I'm often frustrated by it. But not so much that I would resort to drinking goo, or Soylent, as its inventor Rob Rhinehart has called it, apparently a "self deprecating" reference to 1970s film Soylent Green where a miracle food turns out to be made of human beings.

Are we entering a post-food society, or have some people just eaten too many nut bars? It seems the creator of this goo never ate food to start with - he consumed cheap fuel - $1 burritos, $5 pizzas and McDonalds. So maybe for him goo is barely a step down? Possibly even a step up.

Apparently there are covens of goo enthusiasts, gleefully concocting and glugging their own variations, mixed to suit their various intolerances and specific "tastes". What I don't get is that people who ostensibly don't want to spend time thinking about food are thinking about it an awful lot - well, it's not food - it's goo.
It seems incredibly... juvenile, this goo mixing; like kids. And the goo itself - like baby formula. Will we evolve to no longer need teeth? For the goo enthusiasts, food (real food) is no longer fuel, but a leisure activity - you only eat as a social thing. The inventor envisions drones dropping goo mix on starving communities - I can't help but hear the ghost of Marie Antoinette saying "Let them eat goo" while Rob Rhinehart declares he has the solution to world hunger.

Is this our post-food future? If we are what we eat, then we're on the path to becoming tasteless, colourless sludge. Without teeth.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Woman With Binoculars. I was waiting for your next blog post and hoping that the gestation period for it fell short for those of a book. Thankfully, that is the case (unlike *some* blogs I could name! Like mine.)

    Your words and thoughts on goo, of which I haven't heard (I'm barely up-to-date with this "paleo" guff) disincline me to find out anything more about it. I would like to make a point that this Goo™ (let us say) shouldn't prejudice us against "goo": the delicious asparagus risotto I made for my dinner last night, for example. I have some left-over for lunch - I'll borrow a drone and get it to drop some on your house at lunchtime, if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mick - could you please call back the drone (or send a separate one) with some jasmine gelato? I have a craving. Now that you have trademarked Goo, let's get marketing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my garlic prawn milkshakes and risotto sorbet will take the world by storm ... the failure of the anchovy smoothie is well in the past now !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really love comments and I aim to reply to every one.